Year 5&6 Basketball Competition
Date(s) - 24/01/2019
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Venue: Ellesmere Port Sports Village, Stanney Lane, Ellesmere Port CH65 9LB.
Age Category: Years 5&6
Squad Size: 5 a-side
Gender Specifications: None
1. Games are to be played 5 v 5.
2. 5 children on the court at all times, any gender mix. All children must be in school years 5 or 6 at the time of competition.
3. Squads may contain up to 10 children.
1. No contact.
2. One step while holding ball.
3. One dribble – a dribble is a continuous bouncing action.
4. Players may be substituted at any time on a dead ball.
5. Half Court Defence – when possession is lost or turned over in their opponents half, a team must not defend the ball until it has passed over the half way line i.e. they must retreat to their own half.
6. All baskets will count as 1 point.
7. After a basket, the opponents will be given the ball to make a throw in from any point behind the baseline.
VIOLATIONS – If any violation is committed, the non-offending team should take a throw in from the side line.
1. Deliberately kicking the ball or striking it with a fist.
2. Knocking the ball out of the side lines.
3. Dribbling with two hands on the ball at once or letting the ball come to rest on two hands then continuing to dribble (Double Dribble).
4. Running with the ball (Travelling).
1. A personal foul involves personal contact with an opponent, if this occurs in the act of shooting two free throws are allowed, otherwise it is side line ball to the opposing team.
2. Once a player has 5 personal fouls in any one game he/ she takes no further part in the game.
· A Playing order will be provided on arrival.
· Schools are responsible for the supervision of their own children and any first aid issues.
· Schools attending the event are asked to wear their school PE kit and the schools are to provide their own bibs.
· Children are reminded to bring their own drink
Due to the large number of teams that enter this event please choose either the morning or the afternoon session